[C320-list] Battery Selector Switch

Vpweikel at aol.com Vpweikel at aol.com
Sun May 20 12:43:37 PDT 2007

We had what I call a strange and unexpected occurrence while anchored out
this weekend.

Before retiring for the night, I was careful to put the selector switch on
battery #2 only so that in case the battery bank was drawn down, I'd have
battery #1 for a back-up to start the engine.

As I expected, the anchor light and a few other small miscellaneous uses
drew the battery down low enough that the engine would not crank ( I purposely
turned the reefer circuit off ).  Feeling good about the back-up plan, I
switched over to battery #1 and turned the key.  Nothing !  Both  batteries were
down.

I know for a fact that the batteries are at least 5 years old since I  have
not replaced them.  The boat is a 1996 and for all I know the  batteries could
be 10 years old which is well beyond the normal expected life  span.  But that
doesn't explain to me satisfactorily why both banks were  discharged with the
selector switch set to #2 only.  Surely, even a tired,  old battery would
hold charge for 14 hours - but maybe I'm wrong.

Has anyone experienced this ?

I'm beginning to think that something must be wired wrong or the selector
switch failed.  This was the first real "test" of the system that we  have done.
 Any suggestions on how to make the proper checks of the system  both switch
and house wiring ?

I am planning on replacing the batteries soon.  At the moment, I  just think
this should not have happened given the precautions that were  taken.

The good news is that, the new portable 1200 Watt generator was on-board  and
in 30 minutes running time the batteries were topped up enough to start the
engine and get us underway.

Paul Weikel
Second Chance
Georgetown, MD