[C320-list] Shaft Alignment

Pat Moriarty patm at psiurethanes.com
Fri May 4 05:19:38 PDT 2007

The key just keeps the prop from spinning on the shaft and the taper
keep it snug on the shaft. So the key takes the torque and if it were
undersize you would only get a jolt when you went from forward to
reverse but it would wear the taper some. I would think you had a
bigger problem like the nut was not tight enough and the prop could
shake and that caused the key to be loose, you might also check run
out in the shaft if it is not in the water yet.

Pat

At 06:26 PM 5/3/2007, you wrote:
>Joe,
>
>I actually had some vibration in the fall right before haul out but
>I determined that my shaft key was not tight enough in the shaft
>slot.  I had another key made this spring, so hopefully it will be
>tight enough to stop the vibration.
>
>Rod
>

>----- Original Message ----- From: "brucestanley"
><brucestanley at optusnet.com.au>