[C320-list] 1996 vs. 2000

Jeffrey Hare Catalina at thehares.com
Tue May 15 10:54:40 PDT 2007

My opinion is to go for the newest hull # you can afford. The difference in
engine hours (250hrs) is insignificant.  Actually, having 100 hrs on a 10 yr
old engine is not a benefit in my opinion.  Diesels like to be used.

The newer boats have a number of subtle differences (in no specific order)
(Some of these can be enhancement projects on the older boat)

* Stern rail seats have cup holders builtin
* Cockpit has the nice large escape hatch/window for better airflow.
* fridge drain T's into the shower sump instead of dumping in the bilge
* MUCH better electrical distribution panel and wiring for lighting in the
2000+ boats.  Older boats have centrally located cabin light switches,
whereas newer boats have switches on each light which is generally more
convenient.
* Some of the 1996 boats may have vberth cabin cutouts.  I prefer not having
them because the main salon doesn't look as nice, but others like them.
Preference issue...
* The Boom is slightly improved in that it doesn't have the cable and
sliding car for the clew attachment point.
* The roller furling, Standing rigging, lifelines, etc. would be newer and
possibly in better shape.
* Newer boats have chrome (not plastic) vent scoops on the transom.
* Newer boats have a surface mounted sink vs. an under-mounted galley sink.
* Newer boats come with a shower curtain and track in the head.
* Newer boats have a larger diameter angled pedestal guard, whereas the
older boats have a smaller diameter non-offset guard.  Ie: fewer wires up to
instruments, and no chartplotter pod location.
* Newer hulls have a teak handhold on the side of the sink.
* Depending on the owner and it's previous use, the newer hull is more
likely to have woodwork, sole and fabric in better condition, but that's not
a given.

The list goes on, but like I said, they're minor changes, but were you to do
many of them, you'd find that 20K vanishes before you get through the list.

Now, I know some people might quibble over what's an improvement and what's
not, but generally all the things above I consider improvements. I can't
think of anything offhand that I consider a step back comparing those two
models.

-JeffH