[C320-list] 1996 vs. 2000

jonvez at comcast.net jonvez at comcast.net
Tue May 15 11:50:09 PDT 2007

Hi Mike,

First of all good luck...They really are great boats. Here is my two cents and strictly personal preference:

At the end of the day, this is a personal choice with the factors of cost, shape of the boat etc. being the ultimate factors--but I don't think you can make a 'wrong' decision here.

I would go for the newer boat and try to negotiate down that big $ difference for the following reasons:

1) One of the nice things about Catalina is that they are regularly upgrading and tweaking aspects of the boat from year to year. So the 2000 will have some improvements garnered over the previous 4 years.

2)Age is an enemy of all of us, and boats are no different. Sounds like the '96 wasn't used that much and that's not necessarily a good thing. You would have to check for what shape everything from hoses to gaskets to pumps and even hardware bedding is like on both boats. Idle time can be worse than regular usage.

3) Engine hours. I would be curious to see if an engine mechanic would actually find the engine with more hours 'healthier' than the one hardly ever used. Diesels require regular use and we are often guilty of underusing our engines (those pesky sail things :)).

--On the other hand the 96 will probably represent better value from the depreciation perspective, the price difference is pretty significant at this point, and there is no 'bad year' for our 320's--they're all great...

.....Good luck

Regards,

Jon Vez

From: "Mike Paris" <mikepxx at adelphia.net>