[C320-list] Search for a good fairlead

Rod Boer rod.boer1 at verizon.net
Sat May 19 15:51:49 PDT 2007

Hi Jeff,

What I am doing is somewhat different than they way yours is set up.  I
removed the floating double block that was in the boom and the associated
short line at the rear of the boom.  So the line that comes from the front
of the boom exits the rear of the boom on the port side.  This same line
exits the front of the boom on the port side then goes to a block , also on
the port side, that is mounted to the forward reefing cringle and then down
to a turning block on the port side and then back towards the cockpit.  I
thought it might be useful to add a fairlead, like an eye on a diamond
shaped plate, similar to the one that is on my starboard side, that is
placed at a height where the block in the reefing cringle would stop when
the sail was reefed properly.  This is the way that Walter Burnett's boat,
Selkie #887, is set up.  I have his scanned in sketch if you or anyone else
is interested.  Also, I can provide it for the web site.  Thanks.

Rod Boer
Odyssey, #688