[C320-list] Shaft Alignment

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Wed May 30 11:24:18 PDT 2007

This spring I aligned my engine/shaft.  It is a tedious task but not difficult.  I followed instructions in an article titled "Get In Line" buy Jack Harden.  I don't know where I collected this article; but, it is a very thorough approach to alignment.  It explains how to take the measurements and do the calculations to determine verticle and horizontal alignment at the coupling.  It goes on to explain how to make the adjustments of the engine to reduce the alignment error.

It also explains how to calculate "out of trueness" for the engine and shaft side coupling faces.  Unfortunately, there is no way to compensate for the lack of trueness of the shaft faces short of removing the shaft and perhaps the tranny and having a machine shop do the alignment.  But, it's always nice to know where are your problems.

Fortunately, my alignment was dead on in the verticle and only .001" out in the horizontal.  I didn't need to make any adjustments saving me the trouble and time to re-run the measurements and calculations.

I have, also, an Excel spreadsheed for recording the measurements and running the calculations.  I'm happy to share the article and spreadheet with anyone.  Just send me a request off-list.  Maybe I'll get around to posting it on the website.

To answer the question, yes, a feeler gage is used.  It's all explaned in the article.  I had trouble finding the necessary feeler gage at local auto stores.  I found it at J C Whittney online.

Warren & Pattie Updike
C320, #62, 1994, "Warr De Mar"
Frog Mortar Creek, Middle River
Chesapeake Bay