[C320-list] LYRIS LIST MANAGER

Jeffrey Hare Catalina at thehares.com
Fri Nov 9 07:19:44 PST 2007

FYI:

Lyris is the software that Sailnet uses to manage its mailing lists.
Sailnet is responsible for deploying Lyris List Manager properly and
managing it appropriately.

What used to happen is that Sailnet enabled email based administration, so
you could subscribe and unsubscribe via email to the list admin address.
They may still allow email based admin.  It used to be possible to see all
the email addresses, accounts and (yes, even what each person ordered online
from the store) for all Sailnet customers. As a result, "bad" people
gathered all those email addresses and send mass-unsubscribe emails to the
list server.  Since they require confirmation, this is why you get the
confirmation emails.

I haven't looked in quite a while, but they may still allow you to request
an "unsubscribe" through the website, knowing only the email address.
Robots can do mass unsubscribe for this easily if they allow it without
logging in.

That's why we don't run our c320 email list with email-based administration
enabled.  It's still possible for clever people to mine/reconstruct some
email addresses out of the list archives with the right software, but at
least they can't hack our list as easily.  And we also don't allow
attachments to avoid spreading ETDs.  :)

My recommendation is to either set up an email filter that simply junks
Lyris List Manager email without ever seeing it, or to actually go in and
unsubscribe from that list.  Occasionally things come in there and it can
get confusing which list you're responding to because they look similar.
Look for "catalina320.com" vs. "sailnet.net" to know which list you're
involved with.

-Jeff