[C320-list] Halyard length & type for new spinnaker line

Denny Browne dennybrowne at verizon.net
Wed Nov 14 17:26:33 PST 2007

If you're going to use it for a spinnaker, a spectra (Dyneema) core with
poly cover like 5/16" Endura Braid or Maxibraid Plus is a great choice. The
boat was probably delivered with 3/8" UULS, a polyester core and polyester
cover. A similar alternative is New England's Sta-set, or similar polyester
core and cover. I found the UULS to be very easy on the hands, but pretty
stretchy. Others disagree on the stretchy observation.

I put 5/16" Maxibraid Plus on A Cappella last year for two spinnaker
halyards and it works great. I have 5/16" Aracom T for both jib halyards and
I'm equally happy with it, but it's not as good as the Dyneema line for spin
halyards because the Dyneema is more flexible and the spin halyard
articulates more than the jib halard.

Denny Browne
A Cappella #320
Redondo Beach