[C320-list] Kiwi Feathering Prop

Kirk McCullough kirk.mccullough at telus.net
Thu Nov 29 20:05:15 PST 2007

Hi Brian

I have a Kiwi prop, purchased 2 seasons ago. I don't have the delivery
document with me, it's at the boat but I believe they specified a smaller
16" prop and a pitch of 21. But I have a Perkins and the Hurth 50 gear box.
So the prop was sized accordingly by Kiwi.

They will consider your engine RPM's and gear ratio to come up with the
correct size and pitch.

Once I installed the Kiwi and  started to use it I found I couldn't hit
maximum RPMs with it as I did with the old fixed 3 blade. I adjusted the
pitch at my next haul out to get the RPM up. It was slightly over pitched.
It's very easy to adjust the pitch, if you need to do this.

By the way I recently had the old Hurth 50 replaced with the equivalent
Hurth 100, as now supplied by ZF transmissions. It's a much better gear box
for those of you who have still have the Hurth  50 supplied mainly with the
Perkins engines. The Hurth 100 is good for up to 45 HP and old Hurth 50 is
rated at 27 HP even though the Perkins is rated at 29 HP. The Hurth 50 is
actually undersized for the Perkins.

Kirk
Boomerang #124