[C320-list] Radar

Richard A. Walker dickwalker at att.net
Fri Nov 30 12:49:28 PST 2007

Thanks all for the notes on RADAR.

Cheers,

Dick Walker
C-320 (687) WindWalker II
740 Olive Ave.
Coronado, CA 92118-2136
619.435.8986

-----Original Message-----
From: c320-list-bounces at catalina320.com
[mailto:c320-list-bounces at catalina320.com] On Behalf Of Richard Smith
Sent: Thursday, November 29, 2007 5:00 PM
To: c320-list at catalina320.com
Subject: [C320-list] Radar

Hi Dick - I inherited a backstay mounted radar with our 320 (hull #986).  If
it had been my choice originally, I probably would have gone with a mast
mount but I must say that I've been quite pleased with the rig.

Other than that persistent, paranoid part of my brain that insists that it's
being fried by the radar dome from 3 feet over my head, I've been very
happy.  If I had to chose today, I'd probably go with the backstay mount
again.

I'm a Lake Ontario sailor and I find that I'm much more interested in
detecting things within a mile or two than I am about things many miles away
so lower is better for that.  Alas, Halcyon is all wrapped up for the winter
but I can send you some photos in the spring if it helps at all...

Fair Winds,
Rich.