[C320-list] Chain Plates

sail0983 at aol.com sail0983 at aol.com
Tue Oct 16 02:44:54 PDT 2007

Recently Jeff Church provided the steps for rebedding your chain
plates. This prompted me to take a close look at the chain plates on my
2004 (983) boat. While have never seen any water around the chain
plates in the cabin or any evidence of water leakage upon close
inspection I did discover some evidence of rust around the edge of a
couple of plates. This indicates to me that there must be some water
getting through the seal on the deck. Now my questions: (1) do you need
to step the mast to do this work. (2) If you don't have to step the
mast what is the process for slacking the standing rigging. (3) Should
you use the main halyard to hold tension on the side that you are
working on. (4) Is it reasonible for a boat at the end of its 4th
season to need to have the chain plates redone.

David Marchant
Solomons, Maryland
Illumination - 983