[C320-list] Chain Plates

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 29 16:25:34 PDT 2007

David, I'm catching up on postings so don't know if you got an answer.
(1) do you need to step the mast to do this work.  Depends on how you do them.  The cap shrouds, (center uppers,) will hold the rig while you do the forwards and aft plates.  Or, you could do all on one side after loosening all shrouds & stays and use a  halyard to secure the side you are working on.  Or, you could just do one pair at a time port and Stbd.  In any event, always release the tension on the shrouds.
(2) If you don't have to step the
mast what is the process for slacking the standing rigging. I just back off the turnbuckles two turns.  There will be enough tension that you can do a pair of chain plates, on on each side.
(3) See above.
(4) Is it reasonible for a boat at the end of its 4th season to need to have the chain plates redone.  I've seen recommendations that rebedding should be done every 3 years or so.  Each boat is different.

Warren & Pattie Updike
C320, #62, 1994, "Warr De Mar"
Frog Mortar Creek, Middle River
Chesapeake Bay