[C320-list] Mainsheet Technical Articles

Robert Seastream robert.seastream at comcast.net
Sun Oct 7 18:41:33 PDT 2007

You may not have to go inside the binnacle.  I've had an issue on my
2002 (hull 906) where occasionally on locking the wheel I couldn't
unlock it.  I found out this season that there's a plastic 'interface'
piece between the knob I turn and the shaft that actually applies the
brake.  This piece is internally threaded to accept the brake shaft and
externally threaded to accept the knob.  I discovered this the day I
kept unscrewing the knob until it came off in my hand, revealing the
black plastic piece described above, still attached to the brake shaft.
  Pliers applied to the brake shaft released the brake mechanism; not my
recommended ongoing solution.  Your mechanism may be slipping
similarly.

In other news, our trip home today from Newburyport, MA to Portsmouth,
NH in NE 20 kt winds gusting to 25 kts with 4-6 ft seas, was
interesting.

Bob Seastream
'Intuition', hull 906