[C320-list] Prop shakes

Dave Moores dmoores at cogeco.ca
Thu Oct 18 08:52:59 PDT 2007

Thanks Peter, the boat(and prop) are now 11 years old and I notice a fair
amount of "slop" in the fore and aft direction when I move the blades around
with the boat out of the water. I also had a new cutlass-bearing installed a
while back, which appears to have hard-rubber flutes as the bearing surface,
and I wonder if that is allowing the prop to shake the shaft around more
than a solid bearing would do?

As I mentioned, the problem only occurs when I am at below 2000 revs.
Everyting smooths right out, after a few moments of nasty shaking, once I
open the throttle.  This makes me think that the small amount of slop is
allowing enough imbalance to occur with a partly-unfolded prop, eben though
the baldes on the Gori are geared-together to avoid assymetrical unfolding.

But that is just my guess and anybody else's experiences would be welcome.

Dave M