[C320-list] Backing into slip

Randy Averill randy at averillnet.com
Mon Oct 29 19:42:12 PDT 2007

Another new owner question.

I've had my 320 for less than a month and my biggest problem right now is
parking.  My previous boat was much smaller and lighter, and I learned to
maneuver it into the slip rather easily with its outboard motor and tiller.
Now I would greatly appreciate the voice of experience helping me out.

I approached my first couple times into the new slip with the 320 with great
caution.  This boat can coast a long way and I can't afford to overshoot my
slip (I'm at the end of the runway) so I slowed to a crawl.  I used a "Y"
approach in that I came forward down the runway to my slip, turned hard to
port (away from the slip), and then backed in after completing a 90 degree
turn to port.  I actually parked fairly well, but it took forever because I
was going so slowly.

Last time out was my first problem because there was some wind blowing me
into the dock.  I think if I came in faster the wind would have less effect
(i.e., it would have less time to blow me around), but I don't know how fast
is too fast.  Does anybody have a rule of thumb you could offer?  If you're
coming in a idle, how early do you put your transmission in neutral?  How
much time to stop the boat with reverse?  Any good way to get a better feel
for this on open water?  I'm not sure I trust my ability to transfer the
open water experience to the marina because it's so tight.  Any good stories
to make me laugh and relax?

Randy Averill
Tesoro (#29)