[C320-list] Call For C320 Pricing Help

Tue Sep 11 18:44:11 PDT 2007

Hmmm, I wanted a bigger boat, took a look at several, liked the price/features of the CM440, added a shitload of stuff I really wanted, signed the contract, paid the dealer and took delivery.

No spreadsheets, no research on comparable sales, now sweating depreciation tables and resale values...

My way was a lot more fun. :)
----------------------------------
Regards,
OD

From: "Jeff Church" [jjemail at comcast.net]
Sent: 09/11/2007 06:35 PM
To: "C320-List" <c320-list at catalina320.com>;<john at frostnet.net>
Subject: Re: [C320-list] Call For C320 Pricing Help

John,

I've been kicking around the idea of purchasing a larger Catalina. In the process I gathered some data on original prices versus current sale prices for the 320. I'll email the numbers to you. The data might not be totally accurate, but it points to the expected conclusion that depreciation starts high and declines over time. My guess is that you depreciate a total of 18 to 20% in the first 5 years, then 1 to 1.5% per year for the next 5 years, and finally about .5% per year after that.

The lower depreciation that you incur with a used boat versus a comparably equipped new boat is somewhat offset by increased maintenance costs. If you want to keep the used boat in highly saleable condition you will need to purchase things like sails, canvas, upholstery, cushions, etc., as it passes the 10 year old mark. Even so, the 10 year total cost of ownership could be 18 to 20% cheaper for the used boat, which might add up to a savings of a couple hundred dollars per month. For some, not having to hassle with replacing those items, and the appeal of owning a brand new boat might be worth the extra cost.

Jeff