[C320-list] Call For C320 Pricing Help

David J Gleason djgleason1 at juno.com
Wed Sep 12 11:51:14 PDT 2007

John:

Having retired in 99 and wanting to do some cruising, I had a similar
situation.  We owned a Seidelman 299 that was a fast boat, but totally
unsuitable for cruising.  In our searching for what we thought we needed,
we fell in love with the 320.  New was totally out of our price range.
There were two used ones on the local market.  There was 4 years
difference and 10 grand in price difference.  Both had options that sort
of offset the differences.  We chose the older model, 94, and were able
to add the upgrades we wanted for considerably less than the 10 grand.
After 7 years of use and the declining difference in depreciation, we
have no regrets.  It would have been great to have purchased the boat
new, but that would not have allowed us to move up to the 320.  We
probably would have ended up with a 28 or 30'.  I ran into the previous
owner who had traded the boat in on a Tartan 41 and had a long
conversation with him.  He went through all the difficulty he had with
his dealer, Catalina and their suppliers trying to get the boat
commissioned and all systems operational.  To support his comments, there
are numerous notes, names and phone numbers in the owners manual he had
made.  The end result I believe is a very personal decision regarding
your financial position and the difficulties you are willing to work
through.  If you go back through some of the threads of this list, you
will find that many members have had difficulties getting their new boats
operational without some difficulties.

Good luck on your choice,

Dave Gleason
Proud Mary, #150