[C320-list] Call For C320 Pricing Help

Wed Sep 12 12:58:03 PDT 2007

They rated mine a 90 in So Cal which is a joke for a cruising boat...it's tough to sail it to that rating...I think something comparable to the 470 (108) or 42 (102) OWC would be more appropriate...
----------------------------------
Regards,
OD

From: jonvez
Sent: 09/12/2007 12:47 PM
To: C320-List <c320-list at catalina320.com>
Subject: Re: [C320-list] Call For C320 Pricing Help

I think it's helpful to understand Catalina's pricing strategy, which I think ultimately helps all of us at one point or another.

I believe they try and price their new boats around 5% higher than the previous year's model and as we know the starting prices are relatively low when compared to most production boats. This helps bouy the price of older models because they become attractive when compared to new boats, but also creates a floor from which an older boat will hit a certain cost point and pretty much stay there.
I've experienced this both ways--my first boat was a '88 C30TR that I bought used in '95 for $35K--if you search for that boat now, you will find it for around the same price.

I bought my 320 new in '99 and when I compare what I paid for it to replacing it today, the cost difference is big enough where it starts to support the resale of my boat slowly creeping up--

I agree with others who posted--it is a personal decision that works out either way. I certainly agree with Orlando that there is no way a boat or boating can be discussed in the same breath as financial prudence--

BTW Orlando, never did hear what the 440's PHRF is in the previous thread ;)

Regards,

Jon Vez

From: "Dave Moores" <dmoores at cogeco.ca>