[C320-list] Autohelm replacement belt

warren updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 16 17:55:17 PDT 2008

After fixing some issues inside the ring, I found that the pin that holds
the clutch handle on had broken. I tried cotter pins but they couldn't take
the shear inherent during engaging the clutch. The symptom is similar to
what you describe: wheel seems to want to engage when not. The problem was
that the clutch handle had slipped on the shaft and would not completely
disengage. If you can get the handle off, you can work the clutch with a
pair of small vice grips.

I managed to find some steel split pins (tensioning pin, etc.) but they too
wouldn't last. Recently, I've located some 420 ss roll pins at
mcmaster-carr.com. It's about $8 for 50 +S&H; but, I've not been able to
find them elsewhere. If anyone need a few of these, I'll gladly send them,
once I get them.