[C320-list] Autohelm replacement belt

warren updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 17 13:24:11 PDT 2008

Not necessarily. What you're seeing is the original problem I had. Take the
wheel ring off as described earlier. Separate the rings by inserting a screw
driver in the slot from the outside. Gently twist the screw driver then move
a few inches and repeat. The two halves of the ring will come apart.

I removed all of the plastic wheels. Remove the metal plate to expose the
two wheels that operate as the clutch, one of which is movable with the
clutch handle. The one operated by the handle actually is adjustable from
the outside. Remove these wheels. I forget now, but maybe I had to remove
the clutch handle to remove that wheel.

I found accumulated dirt and corrosion inside the bushing of the wheels.
After 14 years, I'm not surprised. I used WD-40 and some fine steel wool to
gently clean and polish the metal surfaces. Autohelm advises not to
lubricate the wheel bearings. Probably good advice.

Reinstall all the wheels and study how the clutch works as you'll have to
adjust the clutch tension once the wheel is back on the boat. There should
be a black cap on the back of the wheel ring to access the adjuster. If
there is too much back pressure from the belt on the clutch wheel, it will
disengage spontaneously. Not good. I found that I needed an allen wrench of
the proper size and a ring tool (a pliers with pins at right angle that fit
in the two holes on the retaining nut of the adjuster,) to hold the
retaining nut while turning the adjustment cam. It's a trial and error
thing. You may know by feel how much pressure is right.

In reassembling the two halves of the wheel rings, position the belt so it's
out of the way and gently press the two halves together moving around the
ring. It should pop together at some point. Might be a good idea to replace
the belt while you're at it.

You should replace the pin in the clutch handle with a new pin if you've
removed it. I drilled the original metric hole in the shaft to 1/16" as
metric pins were hard to find (see previous message.)

I have the Raytheon owners manual and the service & repair manual for the
ST4000. Send me a request by direct e-mail and I'll reply with them.

Warren & Pattie Updike
Catalina 320, #62, "Warr De Mar"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay