[C320-list] Deck hatch sealing.

Scott Thompson sthompson at toad.net
Sun Aug 24 06:56:16 PDT 2008

Having done three of these, I'm a big fan of the Bomar hatch sealing
tape.  It's a foam tape impregnated with sealer with adhesive on one
side.  You just peel the cover off the adhesive, run a length around the
edge of the hatch with a little overlap at the end (being careful to
cover the screw holes, then drop the hatch back in and reinsert/tighten
the screws.  The hardest part is cleaning all of the old sealant off of
everything first.

My attempts to reseal using different kinds of caulk have all been
disasters due to the poor fit between the hatch and the deck cutout.
There are big hidden gaps in there that are hard to fill with a liquid
product.  You end up with caulk everywhere, and then it's hit or miss
whether it will actually be watertight after everything cures.

You can find the hatch tape here:

http://www.pompanette.com/pompweb.nsf/731d6514ff5a8481852567be000745b2/735e271a8a37bd138525683f004c342a?OpenDocument

It's a bit pricey, but worth it given how much better it works, and the
time you will save using it.

Scott Thompson
Surprise, 653