[C320-list] Downwind Preventer - was Whisker Pole Length

Sat Dec 13 11:47:24 PST 2008

Quick reminder, you get more leverage and less strain on the boom by doing mid boom or 3/4, never go to the end of the boom to rig a preventer on (my caveat here) most boats....Brian Toss mentioned that on his website
----------------------------------
Regards,
OD

From: "Allan S. Field" [allan.field at verizon.net]
Sent: 12/13/2008 01:29 PM EST
To: <C320-List at Catalina320.com>
Subject: [C320-list] Downwind Preventer - was Whisker Pole Length

Sea Shadow is rigged for downwind sailing differently than is War De Mar and
I will try to describe what we did.  Note that the idea for this came from
Orlando Duran - I give him credit the first 2 times I share this then the
idea is all mine!

The boom sheet on our boats runs thru 2 blocks.  On the aft most block, I
hung a long shackle from the bail that the block attaches to.  This shackle
is probably 3 inches long.  From each of the forward deck cleats, I hung
long shackles probably about 4 inches long and hung a single block off each
one of them.  The reason for the long shackles here is to leave room for
mooring lines.  Moving aft, I hung a single block on the base of each
stanchion port and starboard sides.

At the base of the forward part of each side of the aft
wraparound-stanchion, I attached a block with cam cleat.

Now for the rigging.  I have 2 preventer lines, one for port, the other for
starboard (red line for port, green for starboard).  I went to West Marine's
rigger and had him splice on the end of each preventer line a heavy duty
snap shackle, the kinds with the spring loaded snaps.  These 2 shackles are
then attached to the long shackle on the mast bail previously installed (see
above).  The preventer lines then run forward to the blocks on the forward
cleats then back through the blocks at the base of the stanchions and
through the block with a cam cleat.  Once set-up, I can control the boom
100% from the cockpit.

I am a bit uncomfortable with the preventer lines coming back only to the
aft-most boom bail.  I would much prefer that they come all the way back
like Warren has done.  That will be a winter project to figure out how to do
this better but without interfering with the dodger.

Unlike Warren, I was hesitant to use the anchor roller for any of this.
Worst case scenario on Sea Shadow is that the boom breaks/bends mid-boom or
a deck cleat pulls out.  Worst case scenario on War De Mar is the anchor
plate gives way, the forestay breaks and the mast comes down.  (NOTE: I hung
a block off the anchor bail and run the spinnaker tack line through the
block and up to the ATN Tacker.  A rigger saw this and cautioned me that
this puts a tremendous amount of pressure on the anchor base and there is a
danger of it pulling out.  But the maximum apparent wind I will fly the
spinnaker is 12 knots; gets any higher, the spinnaker comes down.  And yes,
I fully expect to take some list-grief over this!)

Our downwind pole is mounted to the mast on a track so is fairly easy to
handle, much easier than when deck and/or stanchion mounted.

With this set-up, I have no hesitation about going DDW (dead downwind) under
any conditions.

Hope this helps.

Allan S. Field
Sea Shadow - #808