[C320-list] Announcement of Annual Meeting and Regatta

Karl Mielenhausen _/) c320 at suddenlink.net
Thu Feb 7 11:25:50 PST 2008

C320IA Members,

We've had a fantastic response to our recent association survey and I'm
pleased to announce that plans are being made for an exciting meeting and
regatta on your preferred date of August 1-3. A total of 48 of you (not
including spouses) indicated you MAY be able to attend, so we are looking
forward to one of the best attended meetings in recent years. So mark your
calendars and start watching for bargain airfares (try using
http://www.sidestep.com/flights).
Here are more details, courtesy of your committee....

To:  All members of the Catalina 320 International Association

Please plan to join us in Annapolis, Maryland – the sailing capital of the
world – August 1-3, 2008 for our annual Catalina 320 International
Association Regatta and Meeting.

The C320IA officers are excited about plans to gather our C-320 members in
this historic city and capital of Maryland for an educational and
fun-filled weekend of boating and camaraderie.  Our plans include sailing
and racing on the Severn River and the Chesapeake Bay and a 3-hour dinner
cruise aboard the 67 foot luxury yacht, the Cabaret II.  In addition,
there will be a tour of the United States Naval Academy - one of the most
prestigious institutions of higher learning in the nation and a National
Historic Landmark, marine vendors, historical speakers, a gala awards
dinner Saturday night with door prizes at the renowned Phillips waterfront
restaurant in the heart of downtown Annapolis.

Need more?  Extend your Annapolis vacation a few more days and visit the
National Sailing Hall of Fame, do a walking tour of the Historic District,
or visit St. John’s College - founded in 1696 and one of the oldest
institutions of higher learning in the U.S.   Need still more?  Take a few
more days and visit nearby Washington, D.C. , Baltimore Maryland – home of
Fort McHenry and the writing of the Star Spangled Banner, and Ocean City –
Maryland’s seaside playground.

It’s always great to meet sailors with the same taste in boats.  We hope
to attract as many 320’s to this event as we can.  Since not everyone can
bring their C320 to these locations we traditionally ask the owners who
bring their boats to take the land-locked owners out for a sail or race
thereby giving everyone who attends a chance to sail on a C320 in waters
they might not otherwise get a chance to sail in.  If you bring your boat,
I hope you will participate - the favor is always returned as we move
around the country each year.  In addition, everyone can see and take note
of the endless array of modifications owners have made to their boats,
meet the current and incoming Association officers, make new friends you
will undoubtedly chat with on-line or see again at future Regattas, and
compete in the C320 International Regatta for a chance to take home the
perpetual International Regatta half-hull trophy.

Our home base will be the Port Annapolis Marina where slips will be
available for all boats in attendance.  This is a super 16-acre facility
with a short ride to downtown via land, water taxi, boat or dinghy.
Facilities include beautiful grounds, a pool, a putting green (don’t
forget your putter), plenty of parking, picnic grounds, and a large
pavilion that will be furnished and reserved for C320IA gatherings.  Slip
fees will be $2.50/foot and electricity is included – not bad for the
Chesapeake – and bikes are available for free at the Ship’s store.

A weekend schedule and event links are provided below.  We’re working on
hotel information and pricing for the weekend, this information will be
distributed as it is available via e-mail so watch your Inbox or contact
Warren Updike (WUpdike at hotmail.com) or Bruce Stumpp (BStumpp at comcast.net)
for further details.

We look forward to meeting in Annapolis!

				“On the Water in Historic Annapolis”
				2008 Catalina 320 Regatta and Meeting
				Port Annapolis Marina; Annapolis, Maryland
					August 1, 2 & 3
Regatta Schedule

Friday. August 1
	Arrivals & registration in the pavilion
	C-320 Officers meeting in the Port Annapolis Board room
	Walking tour of the United States Naval Academy (optional)
	320 boat open house
	Socializing by the pool and putting on the green
	Dinner cruise and cocktail hour aboard the Cabaret II luxury yacht

Saturday, August 2
	Final Registration – Coffee in the pavilion
	Pre-regatta and cruise meeting
		Assign crew to boats
		Pre-race meeting
		Distribution of box lunches
		Board the boats
	International races or cruising
	Socializing by the pool and putting on the green
	Technical demonstrations by marine vendors in the pavilion
	Gala awards dinner at Phillips waterfront restaurant
		Cocktail hour
		Maryland dinner with guest speaker
	C-320 annual business meeting
		Installation of officers