[C320-list] Annoying sea creatures

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 18 15:57:35 PST 2008

Ok, I wouldn't expect most of you people to know that one of our own, David Nolte, "Beach House," is known around the Chesapeake Bay as Mr. Nettle-Net; but, let me tell you that if you sail in an area besieged by annoying sea creatures, you'll want to read on.

Here on the Chesapeake Bay, we have these stinging creatures we call sea nettles, Chrysaora quinquecirrha, (http://155.206.18.162/seanettles/) that can be, at best, most annoying, and at worse, keep one from the only heat relief that works at anchor: a cool refreshing dip in the drink.  You might think of them as jelly fish, but these are different.  They are not nearly as dangerous as a Man-or-war or some other forms of stinging cyphozoa, but in Summer, they can be so numerous as to make swimming impossible.  To the rescue comes Nettle Net, (www.nettle-net.com)

David has announced his intention to display his wares at the 2008 Regatta.  You'll see a Nettle Net in-person where you can judge for yourself the quality of the construction.  The sailing group I belong to bought one last year for our cruises.  Let me tell you, when the heat of the day is bearing down on you, and the only thing that will suffice is a dip in the drink, the Nettle Net can be called to account.  Easily deployed in a matter of minutes, that cool refreshing respite is only a jump away.  Yes, Orlando, even when the water is 80+deg. F., it will feel like a Pacific cooler when your body is approaching 100 deg.

So, here is yet another reason you should be planning on attending the Regatta in Annapolis this August.  Stay tuned, in a few weeks we'll have all the details up on the web site (or rather, Jeff will, God bless Jeff Hare,) so you can make an informed decision.

Warren & Pattie Updike
C320, #62, 1994, "Warr De Mar"
Frog Mortar Creek, Middle River
Chesapeake Bay