[C320-list] Xantrex shore charger

Karl Mielenhausen _/) c320 at suddenlink.net
Sun Feb 10 05:58:02 PST 2008

Kirk,

To follow-up on Herb's excellent post...

I think your major consideration in choosing between 20a and 40a is how
you use the boat and recharge you batteries.
If you do a lot of gunkholing and are on the hook 3-4 nights at a time,
when you get to a marina and AC, you may want to be able to fully recharge
overnight. That would drive you to the 40a unit. The TC40+ will be
slightly noisier, because it has a cooling fan (which is good IMHO). On
the other hand, if you are marina hopping and/or day sailing, the 20a unit
will do just fine.

Another consideration, if you think you need the 40a unit, is the size of
your wires back to the batteries. The TC40+ can put out (briefly) as much
as 40a into any one of the 3 positive legs. The Xantrex manual recommends
wiring for a max. 3% voltage drop. They say a TC20+ with 10' one-way wire
run should have 8awg wire. The same 10' one-way run for the TC-40+ calls
for 6awg.
My boat has the TC20+ and 10awg wire (I believe).

--
Karl Mielenhausen
Catalina 320 Hull 690