[C320-list] Xantrex shore charger

Allan S. Field allan.field at comcast.net
Sun Feb 10 06:09:01 PST 2008

Kirk - I believe that if you go with the 40-amp charger, you will need to
run new cables from the battery to the charger.  However, the 40-amp will
result in faster charging times.

I can't speak very well for the install issues as I had it done by a
professional.  But at the same time, I had him wire in the Xantrex  Link-20
monitor and changed the lead cell batteries, cooked courtesy of the
%&#)&*$)(*)(# (that's sailor-speak for "what a piece of worthless crap" but
cleaned up a bit for non-sailors who might be lurking on the list) Pro
Mariner, out for gel cells.  While a friend and I changed out the batteries,
the only regret - minor - I have in retrospect is that I wish I had gone for
the AGM's.  The Link-20 is a great addition as anyone going below -
including kids - can tell at a glance whether or not the batteries need
charging.  And if the Xantrex 20 ever fails, I probably would upgrade to a
40 although there have been very few times I wish that I had the 40.  I
don't run the Xantrex over the winter except for maybe once every 4-6 weeks
when the Link-20 tells me it's time.

We run our fridge 24/7 from the end of March through the end of November and
have done so since the Xantrex 20-amp charger upgrade.  There have been
absolutely no issues; the Xantrex runs all week while we are away and short
of a power failure, no problems.  I did add a small computer-cooling fan to
the fridge and this helps to keep down the frost accumulation on the freezer
box.  And over this winter, we ordered a custom-made insulation blanket to
lay on top of everything inside the box.  We are hoping this minimizes
cooling loss from around the lids.  The blanket came from Standout Yacht
Fittings, 800-622-1877, www.StandoutYachtFittings.com.  Price including
shipping was $53.00.  I know that both Orlando Duran and Ray Durand had the
blankets on their 320's and were pleased with them (see, another great idea
from being on this list!).

Currently on Sea Shadow's Wish List is an alternator upgrade which I believe
will round out all power requirements I could ever have given the kind of
sailing we do on the Chesapeake.

Hope this helps.

Allan S. Field
Sea Shadow - #808