[C320-list] upgrading mainsheet jam cleat

Jeff Hare catalina at thehares.com
Tue Feb 12 07:35:09 PST 2008

Matt,

Just a thought, but perhaps using a different technique could change
your opinion about the mainsheet jam cleats.  We were unsure about them
initially, but the right technique makes all the difference.

First, we never use those red clips, they're for racing when the mainsheet
trimmer is sitting back in the cockpit holding the line and constantly
trimming
the main.  It keeps the line from getting cleated accidentally while easing
it.

The way our boat is rigged, we never adjust the starboard end of mainsheet,
it just stays in the starboard jam cleat.

We use the Port cabin top winch almost exclusively for the mainsheet,
although
if we're tightening up the outhaul (which we lead back instead of our spin
halyard),
we temporarily use the port winch for that.  Short of that, the mainsheet
stays
on the drum.

Having the mainsheet on a winch makes it easy to adjust, and easy to dump in
controlled manner under load.  With a clutch, it's a lot more difficult to
release it quickly in a controlled manner without also adding a wrap on the
drum.

If you just dump it, 9 times out of 10 you'll end up with the mainsheet all
jammed up in a big knot at the traveler because of how much line there is.
Once it's jammed up, it's hard to get a winch on it without making the jam
worse.

OUR TECHNIQUE:
==============
Transferring the line off the drum to the cleat is a snap.  Just press your
palm down on the mainsheet line over the jam cleat until it touches the
cleat.
Uncleat it from the winch and ease the tension.  It just drops right into
the
cleat and you're done.  Super fast and safe, no rope burn.

Transferring it back to the drum is also a snap. Put a couple wraps on the
drum
and winch it in slightly and it pops right out of the cleat.  Now you're
back in
control.

Give it a try it this way before going to the trouble to change hardware.

Our 9yr old daughter is frequently on mainsheet duty and does this with very
little effort (although she needs some help trimming it up when close
hauled)

-Jeff