[C320-list] upgrading mainsheet jam cleat

Matt Curtis mcurtis_6775 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 12 12:35:44 PST 2008

I've never been a big fan of leaving the sheet on the drum the entire time.  If you have to dump the main, that means it's already almost too late and you don't want to waste time unwrapping it.  I admit: a line clutch isn't the best alternative either (hence the jam cleats that come installed on the boat).

  That said, I am used to sailing on boats with very large mainsails and traveller systems, and have to change my mindset somewhat when sailing my own C320...but the concern still remains the same.  The traveller on the C320 is not a large one, and does not always sufficiently dump the main enough - oftentimes you need to ease the sheet as well.  It's just easier and faster if it is not in the jaws of a self tailer.

  Of course, installing an adjustable backstay and a cunningham will help with the angle of heel in the puffs, so I may end up feeling comfortable leaving the sheet in the jaws on the drum.  I'll have to wait and see how she performs with the new rigging installed.

  Maybe I'm just over thinking things and shouldn't heel the boat so much, take in a reef when it blows and not spill my dark & stormy!

  -Matt Curtis
  Tortuga, #541

Pat Moriarty <patm at psiurethanes.com> wrote:
  I am totally with you on this. If the sail will drive the boat at say
5 knots and that might take 10-15 HP do you think you can hold onto
that much HP without a winch or cleat. First thing I tell new people
is don't pick up a line unless it is on a cleat or winch or you can
get a severe burn. I know the sailors will do it all the time and I
do too but that is after you learn when you can get away with it. I
have the old style single ended main sheet and have always sailed
boats that way so it is just a natural system to me. Don't think I
could relearn the new arrangement and in the last regatta in SD the
two boats we sailed on ran the system as a single ended main sheet.

Pat Moriarty
PSI Urethanes Inc
PH: 800-888-5156 Fax: 512-837-8733
Please visit our web site at