[C320-list] Xantrex shore charger

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 15 06:21:09 PST 2008

Improper gage wiring will result in excessive voltage drop between the
charge source and the battery bank.  This is less of an issue with the shore
charger if it is installed in the V-berth hence close to the Batteries.  The
run from the alternator is much longer and needs to be sized correctly.
This is even more important the more you rely on the engine for recharging.
The result of excessive voltage drop is that the batteries may not get a
full charge; and, it doesn't take much of a loss to have a real effect.
Failure to recharge fully can result in early retirement of batteries.
Unlike early retirement for people, this is not a good thing for batteries.

After I did the charging upgrade I measured the voltage drop between the
alternator and the battery post.  It was negligible, at least on my meter.
I expect this to deteriorate with time unless I periodically clean the
contacts.

All I know about 12v power I learned from Jeff Hare and this web site.  Oh,
and Nigel Calder helped too.

Warren & Pattie Updike
C320, #62, 1994, "Warr De Mar"
Frog Mortar Creek, Middle River