[C320-list] Alternator

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 25 08:44:56 PST 2008

I just completed this project last spring.  I used Jack Rabbit Energy for
all the equipment and would recommend them.  www.jackrabbitmarine.com  I'm
happy to tell you about my experience.  I have pictures and details such as
the wiring diagram for the engine harness, and overall wiring diagram for
the whole project.  If you contact me directly (e-mail or 410-821-8246) I'll
bend your ear for a while, and sent you all the documents.

Your question: I went with the AmpTech 125A alternator.  This has a US
standard dual foot mount.  Unfortunately, the Perkins M-30 alternator mount
is not standard.  It does not line-up fore and aft with the pulleys.  I had
to have the mounting bracket modified at a machine shop.  That was simple
and inexpensive to do.

The case of the alternator (any high-output model) will be substantially
larger than the 55A Lucas original.  This led to the need to modify or
replace the adjusting arm that goes over the top.  There must be a simpler
way to approach this part than what I did; but, my approach does work.  I
found an extension bracket in an auto store and had it welded onto the
original bracket, offset to allow for the further aft location of the new
connection on the alternator.  I then had to grind down the modified bracket
to allow sufficient movement of the alternator to install/remove the belt
and have adjustment room to keep the belt sufficiently tight.  There is
precious little space to twiddle with.  There is a coolant hose above this
bracket and to get enough vertical movement, I had to grind the bracket at
an angle to match the shape and route of this hose.  Also, had to lengthen
the oblong hole down.  This took about a dozen dry fits and grinding
sessions.  Nevertheless, it is done.

I also installed: a Balmar ARS-5 voltage regulator, separate starting
battery charged via a Blue Sea CL-ACR combiner, Blue Sea e-series dual
circuit master switch to replace the 1-both-2-off switch, and an XBM
monitor.  The monitor is essential.  It's a vast improvement and allows us
to stay on the hook with a minimum of engine time.  It's well worth doing if
you are a cruiser and want to maximize time on the hook.

If I had it to do over again, I would consider the Balmar 6-series
alternator for two reasons: 1) if the case is smaller, you'll have more room
around it; 2) and, this is a point I completely overlooked, with only a 3/8"
belt, the max. output recommended for the alternator is about 80A.  (I have
a chart of the output curve for this alt. on the M-30.)  The ARS-5 allows me
to program it to reduce the output; but, if another 70 to 100A alternator
has a smaller case size than the AmpTech, I would have used that.

The rest of the project involves running new wires from/to the alternator,
installing shunt, fuses, buss bars, etc.  Lots of fun you will have
regardless of which alternator you choose.

There is lots more to talk about; but, I'm sure Ive reached the text
tolerance on this list.

Warren & Pattie Updike
C320, #62, 1994, "Warr De Mar"
Frog Mortar Creek, Middle River