[C320-list] DOWN: Windlass, ST 60s, ST4000+...UP:~12 V in rail...

Chris Burti clburti at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 14:24:23 PDT 2008

No answers, some thoughts.

Your hull is close enough to mine that you may have the speaker wires
installed under the seats by the factory as ours does. it is 12-2 wiring and
looks like 120v house wiring. Your prior owner may have hooked them up to
something like a 12v light instead of speakers and they may be shorting
where they pass the through the hole in the tubing at  the base where you
can't see it or under the seat where you can.

You don't have to cut fiberglass to get at the windlass, it just makes it
easier. You can remove the wood paneling and access it for testing,it is not
a bad job. I'd bet the breaker would go before the windlass in most cases,
so I'd start there.

I don't think it is very likely that the two problems are related.

There is a grub screw on the anemometer that holds the vane to the shaft on
the masthead transducer, if it is loose, your wind instrument will never
hold calibration and it will act loopy. I wonder if the techies at Ray will
get the two Chris's confused as I am also dealing with that issue right now
as well. My problems were created initially by a lateral from a lightning
strike on a neighbor's boat two years ago, but it is a low priority for me.

--
Chris Burti
Farmville, NC