[C320-list] DOWN: Windlass, ST 60s, ST4000+...UP:~12 V in rail...

Scott Thompson sthompson at toad.net
Fri Jul 11 10:34:55 PDT 2008

more thoughts:

On my boat the only circuit active when the battery switch is on NONE
is the automatic bilge pump, which is wired to bypass the battery
selector.  It does go through a breaker on the panel, however.  You
might shut off the breaker to see if it makes a difference.  The bilge
pump float switch, being located in the bilge, has all kinds of
potential for causing stray current leaks, especially if the bilge is damp.

Think about disconnecting each battery at the battery terminals as the
ultimate way to isolate sources.

The pulpits may be bonded to ground somehow.  If both pulpits are
energized even when the lifelines are disconnected then the problem is
likely related to a common ground for the pulpits that is not
sufficiently well bonded to battery ground and is somehow getting a
stray current.

Scott