[C320-list] DOWN: Windlass, ST 60s, ST4000+...UP:~12 V in rail...

Chris Willems inquire at snet.net
Fri Jul 11 17:17:07 PDT 2008

So you're not going to believe this...

I disconnected the stern pulpit from the safety lines
today.  No current in stern pulpit.  Moved forward,
still in starboard lines and bow pulpit.  Disconnected
bow pulpit on starboard side, still charged...

Disconnected port side safety lines - NO POWER IN
PULPIT!!! hmmm... moved astern and found the port side
stanchion, the one just forward of the cockpit (with
the brace, welded so it looks like an "h") was live.

First attempt was to see how I could get at it.  Went
through cockpit locker - on go.  Went through aft
galley cabinet and was able to feel up to wires.
Tried to unscrew stanchion screws - this was a
mistake.  The after one will not tighten back down,
and I can't find/feel a nut below.  Perhaps this was
the live one, and it corroded the baseplate?  What are
the baseplates made of?

So I gently moved wires from near the base of the
stanchion, clipped one zip tie to loosen the mass a
bit... and the readings dropped from near 12V to
0.19V... what do you think about this?

Now here's the bad news... Lisa and I are going to be
away for the boat for the next week...  There will be
a pause in my DIY boat improvement drama (a collective
phew was heard!).  I will check email and take dutiful
notes as to what my next steps will be.  I feel we're
getting close to solving these electrical problems:

Windlass - CHECK
Autohelm - @ Raytheon, being "reprogrammed" with new
software.

To Do:
ST60 speed & ST60 wind - TBD
Get last of electricity (0.19V) out of rails.

Thanks so much for your help!

Chris Willems, "Chrysalis" #828

more thoughts:

On my boat the only circuit active when the battery
switch is on NONE
is the automatic bilge pump, which is wired to bypass
the battery
selector.  It does go through a breaker on the panel,
however.  You
might shut off the breaker to see if it makes a
difference.  The bilge
pump float switch, being located in the bilge, has all
kinds of
potential for causing stray current leaks, especially
if the bilge is damp.

Think about disconnecting each battery at the battery
terminals as the
ultimate way to isolate sources.

The pulpits may be bonded to ground somehow.  If both
pulpits are
energized even when the lifelines are disconnected
then the problem is
likely related to a common ground for the pulpits that
is not
sufficiently well bonded to battery ground and is
somehow getting a
stray current.

Scott