[C320-list] DC power system upgrade advice

Dave Anderer danderer at udel.edu
Wed Jul 16 11:45:56 PDT 2008

On Jul 16, 2008, at 1:35 PM, Chris Burti wrote:

> Gary,
> This is not a recommendation, consider it a report for evaluation.

In the same spirit...

We have hull 642.  We find we use around 100-120 AH per 24 hour period
on the Chesapeake in the summer.  Major loads are the refrig and
anchor light.  We haven't bothered to install LEDs or anything.  I
found a Link 20 monitor on ebay cheap, so we have a good handle on our
usage patterns.

The stock 55 amp alternator seemed to average around 25 amps for us.
(That is, while it could put out a PEAK of 55 amps, that rate quickly
declined as the batteries were charged.)

So, rule of thumb was max 2 days between charges, and 4-5 hours of
runtime to charge for each 24 hours on the hook.

Installed a 100 amp alternator and smart regulator last year.  With
depleted batteries it seems to average around 50 amps for us - so half
as long to recharge.  (We could bump that 50 amp number up a little,
but I don't like the smell of burning belts.)

..and we carry one of those portable jump-start batteries just in
case, but have never needed it.