[C320-list] Portable Generators

Peter Clancy SAILORPETE at msn.com
Fri Jul 18 07:35:12 PDT 2008

Orlando ...... Just got in from the grandkid's baseball practice and spotted your email. On my present boat, I have the Mermaid 12,000 btu A/C, not the 16,000 btu model. I'm not sure which make A/C Brian has  so my personal observations may not apply.  I can easily start and run the 12k with with the Honda EU2000. There are owners with my same boat (Gemini 105MC), who run their Mermaid 16k A/C's with the Honda EU2000. However, to handle the start-up load, they use a delay to start the cooling water pump. The Honda generator will run the longest in 'eco-mode' but I believe the running amperage for the 16k is too high for 'eco-mode' to function. In normal mode, the Honda burns more fuel but there are aftermarket devices that allow you to connect a second fuel tank. If Brian has a different make, he could compare the starting and running amperages to the Mermaid A/C to see if my observations apply. In hot, humid climates, having an A/C will encourage more use of the boat!

Peter Clancy
'AROBAN' #222 (former owner)
Miami, FL