[C320-list] How Much Chain ?

Allan S. Field allan.field at verizon.net
Fri Jul 25 16:32:44 PDT 2008

Joe - I carry 100 feet of 1/4-inch chain on a 35 pound CQR anchor.  The
windlass was upgraded for the chain gypsy.  The chain weighs 75 pounds and I
don't notice the "extra" weight.  Last weekend we were anchored in 15-20
knots of wind all night with a 37-foot, 23,000 pound Cheoy Lee rafted to
port with the mizzen flying all night as a riding sail, and a 35-foot power
boat to starboard - and we never budged an inch all night.  While I have
never had to put the entire 100-feet of chain out in the depths we encounter
on the Chesapeake, there is 250-feet of rope rode following the chain.  I
also use a chain claw and snubber.

Allan S. Field
Sea Shadow - #808
Herrington Harbour South