[C320-list] Mainsail track

Tue Jul 29 17:49:45 PDT 2008

Ray Durand of Bellezza just bought a drill and modified it like Ralph
did...

             "Bruce Stanley"
             <brucestanley36@
             gmail.com>                                                To
             Sent by:                 C320-List at catalina320.com
             c320-list-bounce                                          cc
             s at lists.catalina
             320.com                                              Subject
                                      Re: [C320-list] Mainsail track

             07/29/2008 05:47
             PM

              Please respond
             C320-List at Catali
                na320.com

Ralph
can you detail the Drill specs more. I just tried to have a search for
it on eBay.
No luck.

Thx
Bruce Stanley
Sydney Australia

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 9:19 AM, Ralph Winkler <ralphwink at aepro.com>
wrote:
> Join the matured age club.  I recently found that I've got a "strained"
> rotator cuff in my right shoulder and the Dr. said NO more sail
winching.
> PERIOD!!!
>
> Installing main and jib electric winches would be cost prohibitive and
the
> installation would be a challenge for two of the three locations.  I
looked
> at the Winch Buddy but they want $1199 for a nicely wrapped Milwaukee
> Electric angle drill with a nice canvas bag.  Having been in the
> construction equipment supply business I knew there was a better way and
> found the same 28 volt cordless Lithium battery MET drill on ebay NEW
for
> $310.00.  Also on ebay, I found The Cranker, a winch adapter machined
from
> one piece of SS for $20.00.  So for $350. including shipping I have a
power
> winch and does this thing have mussel.  Last week I ran a guy weighing
about
> 150 lbs up the mast like it was nothing.  The two yard guys that were
there
> couldn't believe it how fast and easy this thing ran him up.  I've been
out
> sailing twice now and raising the main is a snap as is tacking the Genoa
in
> a 15 kt breeze.  I really think that even at 20 to 25 kts wouldn't faze
the
> power of the drill based on the performance so far.  The drill has two
gear
> ratios and is variable speed, I've found that low speed is all that is
> needed.
> There is one disadvantage, the drill weighs 8.6 lbs. so it takes some
> getting used to.  The unit I bought came with only one battery, a second
one
> has a MSRP of $175 but the charger is a one hour unit.  With a 400 watt
> inverter for back-up if needed. But I can do a far amount of sailing on
one
> charge.
>
> I went to a sewing material place and found some foam backed headliner
> material that I wrapped around the drill using two wire ties for some
> padding.  This off season I plan to ask a sewing friend of mine to make
> boot with a zipper on it for the drill.
>
> Like you I'm over 60 and sometime we need to be creative on how we get
> things done.  This was an easy fix for less shoulder pain for 25% of the
> cost for a Winch Buddy and $0000. less then any other option.
>
> Ralph H. Winkler
> 262-782-2514
> 941-505-8108
> 414-379-0790 Cell
> ----- Original Message ----- From: <jpmesa at aol.com>

UK
>> thinks they are great and it is more than half the price of the Harken
>> system. The Tides is a simpler system compare to Harken but UK sure
likes
>> them.? Both Bobbi & myself have pins and screws holding out shoulder
>> together so we need that extra help. Thought about a power winch but
that
>> doesn't help reefing in a blow.? I have done all the standard mainsail
track
>> cleaning etc. but we still need a little extra help.? John & Bobbi??
Holokai