[C320-list] Install 'cigarette lighter' chargerat ignitionswitch housing

Jeff Hare catalina at thehares.com
Sat Jun 7 07:12:41 PDT 2008

Hi All,

If you use the Delux Marinco 12v marine outlet, it's suitable for reasonable
draw up to a max of around 10A I think (but very few 12v devices would draw
anything close to that with the exception of an inverter).   Use a
mini-breaker at or below 10a and you're good to go.  In fact, you could even
share the Blower Motor circuit breaker already on the engine pod (if it's a
10a or less breaker).  Just move the power wire to the blower to be on the
Input side of the ignition switch and share that supply.  I don't know many
people that use their blower motor enough to have this be a problem.

  Note that the Power Wire to the engine Pod ignition switch is at least
12awg (or possibly even 10awg) wire capable of supplying far more current to
a 12v DC plug than you'd want to allow.  It runs the blower motor! Given the
size of the wire and the relatively low draw, there wouldn't be any voltage
drop of consequence.

BILL:  You won't blow the hot side of the ignition switch because you'd add
a BREAKER inline between the ignition switch and the 12V outlet.  So, if you
were to try to jumpstart your neighbor's boat from your 12v plug, you'd just
pop that breaker and it would have no effect on your ignition.

Cheers!
-Jeff

PS:   Bob's pretty much right:

      14Watts / 13.8Volts = 1.01Amps max current draw.
      (Power in Watts = Current  x  Voltage)   or  P=IE