[C320-list] Holding Tank Vent

catalina at thehares.com catalina at thehares.com
Thu Jun 12 11:52:14 PDT 2008

Hi Bob,

   We've only used fresh water to flush since 2002 and no smells.  We used
sea-water the first year and the boat had that unpleasant "head" smell.
 It doesn't take that much fresh water.  Now that you have a third
water tank, it should really be a non-issue.

We simply use a milk jug and leave it in the head sink.  When sailing, it
has never fallen out or spilled even though we don't bother putting a cap
on it.  (even when heeled so much in rough weather that the kids were
walking on the walls).

It's really simple.  Pour and pump.  In fact I believe that the head
functions better because you can pump it out at the same time you're
dumping in the water.   Our fill/drain switch stays in the drain position
permanently, an the intake thru-hull is always closed.

If you plumb it into the sink drain, you still have to flip back and forth
to pump in water and then flip it to drain it.  We're spoiled and that's
too much work.. :)

Other benefits:
 - It's alot easier to know just how much water you're flushing out the
hoses with.
 - You only have to tell non-boating guests "pour and pump".

-Jeff