[C320-list] Lightning Storm Damage

Quentin Murphy qmurphy at sympatico.ca
Mon Jun 16 07:58:05 PDT 2008

Thanks Bruce and Tim.  I have jumper cables 20' long and 000 AWG.  But I
connect those to the chainplates if I'm on the boat during an electrical
storm. I can unplug my shorepower but my fridge will drain the battery in a
few days and we cannot also predict when these storms come along. As we all
know the forecasts sometimes are off the mark and these summer storms here
are extremely local. Is there any isolation device like a surge protector
made specifically for a 30-Amp shorepower system that installs in the boat
the same way galvanic isolator is mounted, so that it is permanently in
place?  Or are there any devices which can be connected to our club's
shorepower system, for example in the pedestals which is specially made for
the marine industry?  This is so if another boat at our club get hit again:
the damage won't travel through the shorepower system to my boat.  Or is
this an very uncommon occurrence?

Quentin Murphy
Celtic Knot #667