[C320-list] Lightning Storm Damage

Irving Grunes igrunes at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 20:33:11 PDT 2008

Guys,
When lightening strikes, it set up a huge expanding and contracting magnetic
field much like the field that is used in generators to create electricity.
There was the right hand rule,where the direction ogf the current causes the
field to rotate around the direction of the current.
This magnetic field is very large and when it expands and contracts,
anything metallic or electronic that is in the proximity of the field
expanding and contracting will get large voltages generated.
The electronics do not have to be on whatever the lightening strikes, but
only has to be in proximity of the large expanding and collapsing field to
get destroyed.
Surge protectors will only protect for the voltage surges that come over the
power lines.  Those devices in the field of the strike gets cooked.

So that even if someone has a lightening protector on top of the mast and a
chain going to ground, the path of the high amperage will set off the field
and cook whatever is close to it.  It will protect a person on the boat, but
its the field that does the damage.

Irv Grunes