[C320-list] Reversing can be easier

Chris Burti clburti at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 20:12:15 PDT 2008

I respectfully disagree that 320's exhibit significant prop walk with a
factory prop. I attribute most of the backing problems that I've observed to
poor technique. I've been backing our 320 into slips everywhere we go in all
wind conditions for five years with little or no problems. We have a factory
three bladed prop that works fine as long as I don't let the barnacles get
growing on it. Our approach fairway is less than 60' wide and that is
adequate to get control in reverse. the only time I see any evidence of
significant swinging of the stern from the prop is if the water is thin the
keel is dragging and I 'm fighting a cross wind.

Seriously, if you want to experience prop walk at its worst, get out on a
full keel sailboat with the prop in the rudder aperture or try backing a
single screw inboard ski boat. After that experience I suspect that you'll
never complain bout a fin keel boat again.

--
Chris Burti
Farmville, NC