[C320-list] Dead down wind sailing?

Stan ola7442000 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 20:17:07 PDT 2008

Rod, you're not missing anything.  45 sec. in 1.7 miles is worth at least a
couple boat lengths, even if you're just crawing along!!  Also, depending on
the wave conditions sailing a 150 would be a lot easier than a 180.  Less
chance of screwing up.  Sailing at 120 is great for cruising but would take
special conditions to be effective racing.  I keep a cheat sheet close at
hand when racing.  The calculations include a number of speeds cross
referenced to many different sailing angles.  Both downwind and up wind.

Stan
"Our Little Amusement" #744

--
Stan