[C320-list] Dead down wind sailing?

Joe Barrett joe at dolphinmortgage.com
Tue Jun 24 08:19:19 PDT 2008

We go  DDW a lot on short Olympic Triangle courses. Prior to arriving at the
Weather Mark the pole is already attached to the Genoa sheets. As soon as we
round the Genoa is eased the pole extended and we are off flying downwind.
Well before other boats are even on the foredeck trying to set a pole. Easy
way to pick up 4 boat lengths and cleaner Air.
We have found it is much faster to have crew weight forward of the mast DDW
and have passed boats that owe us a bunch of time doing so. I would prefer
that the wind allow for a Broad Reach as it is a faster point of sail, on
that run we put crew weight Leeward by the Shrouds unless it is really
windy. Even in a breeze the extra lift from the Leeward crew weight seems to
help. DDW we ease the Halyards, take tension off the Backstay adjuster,
loosen the Outhaul and move crew weight forward to get the fat stern out of
the water.
Joe Barrett