[C320-list] New Engine Mounts

Martin Raphael mraphael at q.com
Wed Jun 25 17:55:27 PDT 2008

I just replaced my non-stock engine mounts with the stock Perkins mounts per
the thread below.  To my great distress, the engine now vibrates wildly, to
the point that the shaft bounces against the shaft tunnel when in gear.  I
had hoped that the softer stock mounts would solve a long-lasting vibration
and noise issue I have been experiencing.  Now my mechanic says the real
culprit may be in the valves and they will be checking that out tomorrow.
He says he has encountered 2 other Perkins that have serious valve rocker
wear, and that this can cause the vibration.  Have any of you heard of this
problem or experienced it yourselves?  Right now I'm feeling rather foolish
for having invested a huge amount of money in new mounts when those may not
have been the culprit.  BTW, mine is a 94 Perkins M30.  So let this be a
caution before blindly switching out motor mounts.  I may have to just go
back to the old mounts and live with the annoying but tolerable vibration.
Martin Raphael
Rhapsody #108