[C320-list] Some General Questions

Robert E. Sloat resloat at comcast.net
Sun Jun 29 07:41:40 PDT 2008

I have a 2002 320 (Hull 894) with the wing keel and do a lot of single
handed sailing on southern Lake Michigan.  The rudder is below the wing keel
a few inches, but there is no real grounding issue around here unless you
beach the boat.

On single handed sailing, the Raymarine OEM autopilot makes things very
easy.  Set the autopilot to either sail at a heading or a constant wind
angle.  It will tack from most all wind angles and I have even used it to
jibe an asymmetric spinnaker that I fly occasionally alone to show off.

As with many boats, the instruments are at the helm so if you make
adjustment to the main (the traveler and main sheet controls are at the
cabin bulkhead) you can't see the wind angle and speed and boat speed
numbers unless you wander back to the helm.  A few instrument repeaters near
the traveler or cabin entrance would be nice, but installation looks
difficult with the possibility of ugly wires showing up inside the cabin.  I
installed a wireless Raymarine Autopilot Smart Controller which allows
wireless control of the autopilot.  This is a nice feature, but the real
advantage is that the Smart Controller functions as a repeater for up to 4
different digital readouts from your instruments on a reasonably easy to
read screen.  This is a big plus for sail adjustments when single handing

Hang the Smart Controller somewhere near the sheet bags on the cabin
bulkhead and when the autopilot is on you can make all your main and genoa
adjustments from the cockpit and see results (good or bad) from the Smart
Controller with out having to venture back behind the wheel.

The Smart Controller requires a sending unit be installed and wired to the
instrument pod.  And Raymarine recommends you install the sending unit away
from the helm or other instruments or other listed items.  This means you
have to fish a wire from the instrument pod down through one of the pedestal
pipes to the box in the rear bunk and then to wherever you install the
sending unit.  Mine is in a protected area in the forward end of the port
cockpit locker.

Tim Fulbright who runs Sail Place, the Catalina dealer here at Waukegan
harbor told me yesterday that he has sold out all of his new 320s and the
last 2 320s he took in trade for bigger Catalinas sold within a month of
trade-in.  This is a good sign of the demand for this model.  I as an owner
of Hull 894 since new in 2002 and have been very happy with my 7 seasons of
sailing the boat.

Bob Sloat
Savannah Hull 894