[C320-list] Some General Questions

Jane & Ken obuoy4848 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jun 29 08:57:53 PDT 2008

Melissa & Larry,
  We have owned hull #219 new since October 1994.  Our's is one of the early models that does not have a real bilge, but as mentioned before, a dripless gland keeps the bilge dry.  The rudder is two inches longer (deeper) than the wing keel and is only an issue when blocking the boat on the hard.
  I had two blisters appear on the bottom--a couple of inches in diameter--at year two.  I repaired them myself and no other problems.  We installed all the "usual" stuff ourselves--radio, TV, electronics, air conditioner,dehumidifier,shelves, extra cleats, fans etc.
  One nice thing the early models have is an "open" V-berth (removable bulkhead boards) which really "opens the boat up" and helps the air circulate.
  As you will find, nearly everyone is pleased with their 320 selection.  We have friends with 34's, 350's, 36's, &  387's and have spent a lot of time sailing with them & rafting--We love the 320 and half the time is spent sailing singlehanded--We do not lust after anyone else's boat.  We have no issues with our floating condo.
  Jane & Ken,  OBUOY  #219

Melissa&Larry Leibman <theleibmans at verizon.net> wrote:
  Hello 320 listees,

My wife and I currently own a 1988 Cal 28 and have been thinking of moving up for a little more space. The Catalina 320 is one design we have been eyeing recently and I was hoping I might be able to ask a couple of specific questions (ok there's a general one in there too). I did do a bit of searching in the archives first and I apologize if these have been answered before.

1. The (2001) 320 we saw was on the hard. It has a wing keel, and it appears the rudder was sized for a deeper keel as it's depth was clearly greater than that of the keel. My current boat draws 5'-3" and I'd be lying if I said I never touched bottom here on the shallow Chesapeake. While the shallow draft of the wing is attractive, the idea of running aground on the rudder is not especially. Has this been an issue for 320 owners? I did see a response about the rudder being designed to "break off" at the tip if subjected to a hard grounding but that seems like a less than ideal solution. Is there a factory retrofit rudder with a shallower draft?

2. My wife is pretty much a fair weather sailor. The good news is that she has no problem with me going out alone on days when she would prefer not to. That means I do a fair bit of single-handling. I've gotten quite comfortable with the task on our Cal 28. What has been others experience single-handling the 320? Specifically, getting into and out of a slip alone. I sometimes have to manhandle (sorry "person-handle") the 7500 lb Cal when there is a significant cross-wind. Is doing the same with a 6-ton boat feasible? The setup on my boat puts the genoa winches aft where I can easily reach them from the helm. I noticed they are further forward on the 320. Has anyone relocated theirs further aft? If not, what does a single-handed tack look like?

3. Finally, the usual general question. What are the significant things to look for in a pre-owned C-320 of the late '90s to early 2000's vintage. Most boats have the usual array of issues to consider: leaks around chainplates and hatches, hull blistering, rudder delamination, etc. Are there any special ones to keep an eye out for (a particular year with electrical issues or engine problems for example)?

Thanks in advance,

Larry