[C320-list] retractable arm for GPS

John Nicholas j.nicholas at bigpond.com
Tue Mar 11 14:42:19 PDT 2008

Others may have already done this as I know it is a popular feature on many
cruising yachts - As part of my upgrade of Sojourn I have also installed a
Garmin GPS 550 which has a 5.5" "sunlight viewable" color screen. I had a
stainless fabricator make me a stainless steel arm which is fixed to a small
mount located in the corner of the shelf above the nav station. One end of
the arm is bolted to the mount, and the gps (sitting in the manufacturer's
bracket) is bolted on top at the other end. So the arm when retracted sits
nicely along the self. By the combination of the bolts at either end of the
arm and on the bracket this arrangement is very versatile. It can be
extended out/centred over the nav station for close up viewing and, better
still, it can be brought right around to face aft over the galley benchtop.
On starboard tack you get a great view of the display (with this unit I find
speed & course are easily read from that distance) when sitting on that side
of the wheel. Of course it's not  visible portside but then you only need to
step around to starboard side, or pop your head through the companionway to
sight it. I think it's a great addition. I will try and get a photo up on
the 320 website.

John Nicholas
Sojourn #929
Sydney