[C320-list] Chartering in the Carribean

Gene Musante gmusante at msn.com
Tue Mar 11 21:41:49 PDT 2008

Hi,

I have chartered with The Moorings in Tortolla twice and think they are the best.  We flew into Beef Island out of Puerto Rico.  Second charter was a flotilla  consisting of 11 boats of various size and about 40 people.  We visited 6 islands including Anegada.  This was even more enjoyable than our single charter (More drinking buddies!).  There was a briefing at 8 AM on the Moorings lead boat (Beneteau 50) where they reviewed the day's itinerary and took up menus for the restaurant to be visited at the end of the day.

When we arrived at each island, we had a rum party on the beach before dinner and were served dinner promptly when we entered the restaurant rather than being served on "island time"  Toward the end of the 11 day charter, we had a handicapped race from Jost Van Dyke to Norman's island which was a blast.  We did split provisioning which gives you adequate food and beverages for everything but dinner which we had ashore each night.  The Moorings flotilla had several maintenance people with them on the Beneteau 50, and came immediately via inflatable when our shift/throttle froze up outside Jost Van Dyke.  They fixed it "on the fly" while we were still underway so we were not delayed in our arrival at all.

The Moorings owns or is affiliated with a nice hotel on the mountainside in Tortolla which has a pool and restaurant.  I think it was called Treasure Island.  We spent a few days chillin' at the hotel and some local restaurants after the end of the charter.  Went to Peter Island resort on a day boat to use their beach and have a look-see.  I did two SCUBA charters with a local company out of Tortolla.  Great trip!Gene Musante  617-755-0680  gmusante at msn.com