[C320-list] Chartering in the Carribean

Magnuson's Ragtime ragtime at gte.net
Mon Mar 10 16:33:31 PDT 2008

We have chartered three time in the BVI's,  twice with the Moorings and our last trip this January, was with Horizon Yacht Charters.  We first chartered a Beneteau 36 with my family of 4, and did a lot of Diving.  Our second was with another couple on a Beneteau 32, just before we had a chance to sail our 320 that we bought late in 2006. This last January, we chartered a Bavaria 44 through Horizon with the same couple.   Our boat was a little older, but the space was well appreciated. We did experience a fuel line problem that was repaired within a couple of hours.  This last trip, we made our own arrangements for provisioning. All the grocery stores have check lists that you can pick and choose your provisions, and they will bring it right to the dock.  Our first two trips we had the Moorings act as the middle man, and I am sure that is one of the things that add to the cost. With Horizon, we were expected to return the boat with the fuel and water tanks topped off, rather than the Moorings, where we just brought the boat back to the slip and took our stuff and left.  I also used a yacht broker, http://www.visailing.com/  which work very very well as we tried to take advantage of our prior experience.  We had less food left over when we returned. I also shopped for our trip insurance through their suggested suppliers.

The Moorings is a great company for the first time charter. They pick you up at the plane and handle all the details for you through out the trip.  I agree with the suggestion about checking the boat over very carefully during the pre trip check out.

 Comments I have heard concerning traveling with couples, is that it you will either all come back as great friends, or never speak to each other again.   Being that close together for a whole week, might cause minor irritations to become a concern. Smoking, language, alcohol, personal habits and politics can spoil a trip.  I would agree with the Catamaran as a good choice.  Have a great time.

Gary Magnuson
Time A Weigh  # 205